You are my sister and we share the same genes, so you know how much dessert is a staple in our lives. Well, the other day I came across this recipe, and an extra box of strawberries in the fridge, and decided to make this super easy cake. It was my first time ever making anything from scratch, but it turned out wonderfully! Everyone loved it (especially you) and it was so simple to make. Here is the recipe so you can recreate it as many times over as your heart (and stomach) desires.
Original Recipe from Once Upon A Chef
What You’ll Need:
- 1.5 cups flour
- 1.5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- A bit of butter (to butter the cake pan)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons sugar (this is separate from the 1 cup)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3/4 pound strawberries (about 1 box)
- 2 bowls
- An electric mixer
- 9-inch cake pan (square or round)
- Spatula or Spoon
- Knife (to cut strawberries)
What To Do:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Butter the 9-inch cake pan.
- Mix together the 1.5 cups flour, 1.5 teaspoons baking powder, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in one bowl (Bowl 1) and keep to the side.
- With an electric mixer, mix the butter and 1 cup sugar together in another bowl (Bowl 2) until it is “fluffy” for about 3 minutes.
- Add the egg and the 1 teaspoon vanilla extract into Bowl 2.
- Keep using the electric mixer until it is mixed well.
- Slowly add half of the flour/baking powder/salt mixture (Bowl 1) into Bowl 2, and keep mixing.
- Slowly add half of the 1/2 cup milk into Bowl 2, and keep mixing.
- Add the remaining half of Bowl 1 (flour mixture) into Bowl 2, and keep mixing.
- Add the remaining half of the milk into Bowl 2, and keep mixing.
- Still using the electric mixer, mix together so all ingredients are thoroughly combined (mixture will be very thick). You can add a few (2 or 3) more tablespoons of milk if needed.*******
- Wash the strawberries and cut the stems off.
- Cut each of the strawberries in half. Leave aside.
- Transfer the mixture from Bowl 2 to the buttered cake pan using a spatula or spoon. Make sure to get all the batter out from Bowl 2.
- Cover the top of the batter with the halved strawberries, flat side down.
- Sprinkle the 2 tablespoons of sugar all over the strawberries (I know it will seem like a lot of sugar, but trust me, it will create a nice sugar crust and bring out the flavor in the strawberries).
- Bake for about an hour until the cake is a little golden. Test it out using the toothpick method (stick a toothpick in the middle and it should come out clean).
- Let the cake cool.
- Enjoy! You can eat it plan, or with whipped cream, ice cream, strawberry topping. The list goes on!
*******If you want to add strawberries in the actual cake, take half of the strawberries and chop them up into tiny pieces and add them to the batter.
A party without cake is just a meeting. ~Julia Child