After I decided I have enough makeup for 3 lifetimes (which I later realized looking at other people’s collections that I am still impoverished in makeup, relatively), I decided to dedicate my efforts to another obsession: parfums.
Literally my only perfumes were an Adidas toilette that I received 2 years ago and a Victoria’s Secret rollerball. Part of adulting is finding some good scents Mimi and I was severely lacking in that department.
So I set out to find some more fragrances yet and it was way, way, wayyyyyyyyy harder than I imagined.
I started off doing the logical thing, in my opinion. I ordered a sampler kit from Sephora, which contained 8 samples of the most popular fragrances from this year. Here’s what was included and what I thought of them using emojis (which if you read my October & November favorites, you would already know some):
- Angel by Thierry Mugler: 😷😷😷😷😷
- This just smelled like BO mixed with Lysol in a bottle
- YSL Mon Paris: 😍😍😍😍😍
- A very girly scent, it’s a mix of fruity & floral. Smells very princess-y.
- Marc Jacobs Divine Decadence: 🙂🙂🙂
- This is a very elegant fragrance which smelled like your classic department store perfume.
- My Burberry Black: ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️
- I can’t quite describe the notes in this, but it was very muted, yet confident and sensual. Definitely liked it better than the original My Burberry.
- Tom Ford Orchid Soleil: 😊😊😊😊
- It smelled like orchids, which was nice and it had a sweet undertone. I quite enjoyed this.
- Elizabeth and James Nirvana Rose:🤕🤕🤕
- This was just meh. It was very spicy, with a little bit of sweet, but it didn’t appeal to me.
- Elizabeth and James Nirvana Bourbon: 😓😓😓😓
- No. While I liked it eons over Angel, I hate the smell of Bourbon, which is exactly what this smelled like.
I liked YSL’s Mon Paris and My Burberry Black best from the bunch, so this was a good start! I also figured out I liked more floral, sweet, and muted scents, so that helped to narrow things down.
Then I went into the Sephora to browse some more and this is what the lady had me try, again with emoji ratings, because why the heck not?:
- Versace Bright Crystal: 😐😐😐
- Idk with this one. It was nice, but I could barely smell it. It just smelled like the alcohol they mix it with.
- Versace Yellow Diamond: 🍊🍊🍊
- This was a little better, and it had some citrus tones, but again, I couldn’t really smell it that much.
- Versace Crystal Noir: 💎💎💎💎💎
- YES. Crystal Noir, you are a diamond in the rough (haha so punny). This was just like the My Burberry black, muted, yet strong and sensual. It has notes of gardenia and amber, and I absolutely loved this.
- Tocca Florence: 🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸
- As I mentioned in the October DDD, this reminds me of Nani’s house and the flowers Dadi used to put in my hair. Anything that brings back incredible memories should be kept.
- Tocca Cleopatra: 😕😕😕
- I really thought I was going to like this since it was heavily on the floral side, but it just felt overly done and kinda spicy. It was eh.
- Tocca Simone: 🏖🏖🏖🏖
- This smelled like the beach. Do you know me? I love the beach. That’s all I have to say about it.
- Viktor & Rolf Flowerbomb: 😖😖😖😖
- This was too much. I understand the flowerbomb concept was to stuff as many florals as humanely possible, but it was confusing. I couldn’t even quite figure out what exactly I was supposed to be smelling. You know how when you add too many spices to food, it tastes yucky? Yeah, that’s what happened to this perfume.
- Burberry Brit Sheer: ❄️❄️❄️
- I actually liked this more than I thought I would. It was really light and airy and it reminded me of cool, crisp winter air. But I don’t know if I would actually go out and purchase this.
- Chloé by Chloé: 😓😓
- I really really really wanted to love this. But sadly, I’m not the biggest fan of magnolias, which is a big part of this fragrance. It seemed really beautiful though, and who knows? You may love it!
- YSL Black Opium: 👍👍👍👍👍
- This was intoxicating in a good way. Vanilla mixed with coffee with a hint of floral made me keep smelling myself like an idiot in the store every 30 seconds.
But yeah, it was tough. There were so many smells and sometimes they would get confusing or mix together. Then you have to figure out which ones you like and how they wear on you and work with your natural body chemistry. What you like may be what someone hates. It’s such a personal preference.
Anyway, I ended up purchasing a few of them: YSL Mon Paris, Tocca Florence, Tocca Simone, and Versace Crystal Noir. Next in line to be purchased? YSL Black Opium, Tom Ford Orchid Soleil and My Burberry Black.
Odors have a power of persuasion stronger than that of words, appearances, emotions, or will. The persuasive power of an odor cannot be fended off, it enters into us like breath into our lungs, it fills us up, imbues us totally. There is no remedy for it. -Patrick Süskind