Where were you when the Chicago Cubs won the world series in 2016? Just kidding, you were sleeping since it was midnight, but you get my point.
In an ah-mazing, nail biting, jaw-dropping, game 7 of the World Series in Cleveland, Chicago’s mortal midwest enemy, the Billy Goat curse was finally broken. 108 years later, on November 2, 2016, the Chicago Cubs were World Champions of baseball, a historic event to say the least. What a time to be alive.
Now, personally, I’m a Sox fan myself, but seeing the excitement in Chicago was exhilarating. It’s a thrilling event for Chicago and I love this city, so I’m happy to partake in the festivities. Watching the game was a rollercoaster ride, but there were so many lessons to be learned from this whole experience.
- Patience is Key: 108 years is no joke. The last time the Cubs won, women didn’t have the right to vote, neither of the World Wars had happened, cars were just invented, and Thomas Edison was still alive. It seemed impossible, but good things come to those who wait. If you’re willing to be patient, miracles will happen.
- It Ain’t Over til It’s Over: The game was 6-1 until the 5th inning, and everyone thought the Cubs would have it. Then, all of a sudden, it was tied 6-6 in the 8th inning, with only 1 inning left! The nerves were up like no other. That just goes to show, don’t take any chances or take it easy until it’s actually over. See it through til the end.
- Never Give Up: Finally, finally, in overtime, Cubs had two more home-runs and brought the W home. During this whole season, they could’ve given up, and even during the world series, they were down 3-1, and came back to win it all in the last game with an extra inning. Keep working hard Mimi, and never give up. You never know what can happen and with hard work and effort, things will all fall into place. The world will become yours.
- Don’t Let Your Failures Define You: In the 8th inning, pitcher Chapman made some mistakes which allowed the Cleveland Indians to have 2 runs and make it a tie game. But, he came back again, determined to do better, and he did. And the Cubs as a whole didn’t let that little mishap affect them. We all make mistakes; we’re not perfect. But, we have to overcome those wrinkles and work harder, better, and smarter. Mistakes teach us lessons and what not to do next time. So learn from them and move on.
- Always Have Hope: Cubs fans are some of the most determined fans I know. Every year, facing grueling losses and disappointments, they were still hopeful, claiming “next year” would be their year. And finally 2016 was it. Even during this game, when it was tied and things could go either way, they still hung on. The game was in Cleveland, but so many fans were gathered around Wrigley Field in Chicago to show their support. Hope is what keeps us going Mimi. Without it, even the sunniest of days look dark and cloudy.
- Be Humble: As I watched the interviews with the coaches and executive members of the Cubs after they won, they still took the time out to congratulate the Indians and let them know how much they were still a great team and respected them. This shows grace and class. Whenever there is a winner, there is always a loser. Be humble. Remember the other party, and take time out to thank them. Be gracious in everything you do and people will respect you more.
- Celebrate Your Achievements: Last but not least Mimi, don’t be afraid to enjoy and treat yourself for a job well-done! You deserve it! When all the hardwork, patience, and effort pays off, make sure everyone knows it! I’ll be going to the victory on parade and it’s sure to be epic, which is exactly what the Cubs deserve!